Lord of the Coast
From One Piece Wiki
|Lord of the Coast|
|Romanized Name:||Kinkai no Nushi|
|English Name:||Master of the Near Sea|
|First Appearance:||Chapter 1; Episode 4|
|Occupations:||Fuusha Village's local sea monster|
Unlike many other Sea King, Lord of the Coast is fairly small in size however he is still quite large in comparison with most other Sea Monsters in the One Piece world. His appearance is similar to a large oversize brown eel with red eyes and blue fins. Like other Sea Kings, the Lord of the Coast is very aggressive and fierce in nature.
His debut was in the manga chapter 1, when he ate Higuma who was in a small rowing boat shortly after throwing Luffy into the water. He then tries to eat Luffy, failing to do so and instead just managing to bite off the left arm of Shanks. He is scared away then by Shanks, who stares him down using his Haki. He later appears in the same chapter being knocked out by Luffy when he leaves his hometown 10 years later.
 Anime and Manga Differences
The initial flashbacks into Luffy's past in Episode 4 of the anime glossed over some details in Chapter 1 of the manga, and his initial origin in the anime skipped everything from Shanks' departure from Fuusha Village to him popping out of his barrel. However. Luffy is featured knocking him out in the original introduction for the series, "We Are!", as well as One Piece: Grand Battle! Rush!.
He was issued alongside Shanks and Luffy in a One Piece Block Figures set featuring the Straw Hats and their past mentors/loved ones.
- Lord of the Coast was both the first Sea King and the first Sea Monster to be featured in the series.
- In Romance Dawn V.1, instead of Lord of the Coast a shark was featured biting off Shanks' arm.  In some older fan made scans, he is still named as a "shark" and not a Sea King despite clearly not being a shark, however until the crew tries to enter the Grand Line the greater identification of Sea Kings were unknown at the time.
 Related Articles
- ↑ One Piece Blue: Grand Data File - The Lord of the Coast is identified as a Sea King.
- ↑ One Piece Red: Grand Characters - The Lord of the Coast is identified as a Sea King.
- ↑ One Piece Anime - Episode 1, introduction to series We Are!.
- ↑ One Piece Anime - Episode 504, Luffy punches out the Lord of the Coast near the docks of Fuusha Village.
- ↑ One Piece manga - Romance Dawn V.1.