From One Piece Wiki
|First Appearance:||Chapter 255; Episode 168|
|Epithet:||"King of the Sky" or "Master of the Sky"|
|Japanese VA:||Masaya Takatsuka|
|Funi English VA:|| Kyle Hebert (Episode 168-176);|
Peter Hawkinson (Episode 177-187);
Christopher Bevins (Episode 188+)
Nola is a giant python, bigger than most buildings and is long enough to reach out to the sky well above the trees of Skypiea (which alone are massive in size themselves). Nola is supposed to be much bigger than her ancestors since she was provided nutritions upon the sky.
Her head alone is large enough that people may dance on top of it, and her insides are so large they form a tunnel big enough for people to walk side by side down with no room restrictions.
She is blue in color with a single row of white hair on both sides, along her body.
400 years ago, she was as big as the size of a normal adult python.
Nola is noted to be hot tempered and easily aggressive towards everything, attacking what crosses her path. Her foreboding and fearsome stance has earned her the title of "King of the Sky".
Though fierce and violent, deep beneath her beastly shell lies a much gentler creature. When she was young she used to call out to the Shandorian Golden Belfry Bell as the sound made her happy. Upon hearing the bell for the first time in four hundred years, she proceeds to become much happier and once again returned to her gentle self she had been as a child singing out to the sound of the bell.
She is later seen after Enel's defeat dancing round a fire with the Shandians and Skypieans (some of which were on her head). This is a sharp contrast in the previous attitude where she just attacked everything. Her strange behavior has noted to be extremely odd by other characters leading to question "What's up with that snake?".
She was fond of Noland and Calgara, later she also befriended Seto. When she awoke from being knocked out by the trials, her memories of her childhood and seeing Calgara and Seto walking away from her with her in pursuit made her charge at Giant Jack with tears in her eyes.
 Abilities and Powers
Nola is a powerful beast able to best even strong warriors like Wiper and Zoro easily. Though she is strong, her strength is not superior to the destructive force of a Reject Dial, as evidence of her failure to knock over Giant Jack. On top of her incredible strength, she also emits a powerful corrosive venom from her mouth.
Nola was originally discovered by Noland's men, Calgara who commented to Noland that the giant snake had a grandson. Nola lived in the remains of the city of Shandora and would follow Calgara and Noland around. Every time the bell of Shandora was rung, she would call out to the sky in happines. After Noland had left the Shandians later at some point had discovered she was female, she was also named "Nola" after Noland. When part of Jaya island was sent into the sky, she was taken along with it.
 Skypiea Arc
She unknowingly took part in the survival game sent by Enel and is one of the few who manages to reach Upper Yard, which during her trip up there she accidentally eats Luffy (who at first thinks her stomach is a cave), Nami, Aisa and Gan Fall but eventually spits them out.
During the climax where Luffy needed to reach Enel's ship by knocking down the Giant Jack (a giant beanstalk) and spurred on by the visions of her youth, she helps the heroes by ramming into it, knocking herself out in the process. Her efforts, however, weakened the beanstalk enough for Wiper to give the final blow with his Reject Dial.
After Luffy rung the bell, Nola cried out in happiness. She was later seen celebrating with the Skypieans and Shandians around a fire. After the party, Nola slept heavily, while she was sleeping the Straw Hat Pirates went inside her mouth and retrieved the gold from inside before she awoke.
- The people of Skypiea call her the "King of the Sky," or "Master of the Sky", even though she is a female and should be called a Queen or Mistress instead. This was not the only case when her gender had been mistaken. When first spotted by Calgara he remarked "The giant snake had a grandson", a referenced to a comment made by Noland beforehand when they had come across her mother Jaya ("Hey the giant snake had a son!"). When Calgara is seen on the retelling of the start of the Shadian/Skypiean war, she is correctly referred to as "she".
- Nola is one of the oldest living creatures on the One Piece world and the oldest seen so far in canon, being 400 years old (which is older then the giants in Little Garden who live for 300 years). The only older creature seen is Ryuji, the Sennenryu in the Apis filler arc and the giant, unnamed turtle in the seventh movie, both of which are filler creatures.
- Though it is said both her mother and grandmother were female, these are the only three members of their species shown and no males are seen at all. It would seem their species is capable of breeding through "Parthenogenesis" type reproduction, like a number of reptile species in real life.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime - Vol. 31 Chapter 290 and Episode 188, Nola following Calgara and Noland around.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime - Vol. 32 Chapter 296 and Episode 191, Nola rams the beanstalk.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime - Vol. 32 Chapter 299 and Episode 193, Nola cries out to the bell.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime - Vol. 32 Chapter 300 and Episode 193, Nola parties with the others.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime - Vol. 32 Chapter 301 and Episode 194, Nola's stomach is raided by the Straw Hat Pirates.
- ↑ One Piece Manga - Vol. 44 Chapter 424 Cover Story: Where They Are Now Shot 1, Conis, Nola, Aisa and Laki taking a walk.